As an English Literature student you will delve into a wide range of novels, plays and poems with an open and inquisitive mind. You will develop your analytical skills by examining a wide range of texts from modern masterpieces to classic works in order to reveal several levels of meaning. You will see how texts reflect the political and cultural struggles of the time in which they are written. This course may even change the way you think about and view the world.
Higher Education Destinations:
- Oxford University – History, Spanish
- University College London – English
- The University of Birmingham – Drama and English
- The University of Leeds – English Language and Linguistics
- Newcastle University – Combined Honours
English Literature can lead into a wide range of careers and HE courses, particularly those involving writing such as Broadcasting and Journalism, Community Work and Social/Liaison Work. Former students are now studying English Literature at Durham University and University of Sheffield. Higher apprenticeships in the creative industries are also an increasingly popular choice for some A Level students.
A 4 in English Language and English Literature. Not taken English Literature at school? Get in touch and we will discuss other ways in which we can evaluate your love of reading and essay writing skills!
Year 1 100% Exam
Year 2 80% Exam 20% Coursework
We offer a range of enrichment opportunities:
- Excellent library and IT facilities to help you extend your knowledge and range of reading.
- Support for able students who wish to apply for Oxford and Cambridge.
- A creative writing enrichment class for those who enjoy writing their own stories and poems and for students with an ambition to be journalists.
- Theatre and lecture visits so you can experience a play you’re studying in the theatre.
Your teacher will always be glad to make suggestions for wider reading and further study.