English Language and English Literature
If you enjoyed both English Language and English Literature at GCSE then you don’t have to choose between them at OSFC. Taking a combined literary and linguistic approach, you will explore non-literary writing, in addition to studying renowned plays and classic novels. You’ll deepen your understanding of both language and literature through exploring a variety of text types, from the genres of poetry, prose and drama to non-literary ones like autobiography and travel writing. You will also have the opportunity to develop your skills as a writer through a variety of creative, investigative and analytical tasks.
Higher Education Destinations:
- Edge Hill University – Primary English Education with QTS
- Cambridge University – History
- Glyndŵr University – Animal Studies
- The University of Salford – English with Creative Writing
Former students are now studying English and Education at Edge Hill University, English at University of Birmingham and English and Multimedia Journalism at Manchester Metropolitan University. The English Language and Literature A Level is perfect for careers involving writing skills, developing arguments, analysing text or evidence, and/or creative thinking.
A 4 in English Language and English Literature. Not taken English Literature at school? Get in touch and we will discuss other ways in which we can evaluate your love of reading and essay writing skills!
Year 1 100% Exam
Year 1 80% Exam 20% Coursework
- Creative writing for those who enjoy writing stories and poems and for students who are particularly interested in following a career involving writing.
- Theatre and lecture visits.
- Support for able students who wish to apply for Oxford and Cambridge.