"I enjoy A Level PE as it is a very engaging and enjoyable course that requires hard work but is made easier through the great teaching. A PE A Level is a brilliant thing to have as it gives you the opportunity to explore more areas of the subject in the future. Personally a career in Physiotherapy and Sports Psychology is something which would interest me. For those who have similar aims, A Level PE is a great course to get you on that path."
I enjoy A Level PE as it is a very engaging and enjoyable course that requires hard work but is made easier through the great teaching.
Physical Education (A Level)
- Year 1 & 2
70% Exam; 30% Coursework
- Exam board
- Specific entry requirements
You will need to be currently competing in either a team or individual sport, and continuing this during your time at college.
What Will You Learn?
- Unit 1: Physiological Factors Affecting Performance. This unit focuses on developing your knowledge of the science behind physical activity. Application of this theoretical knowledge will enable you to understand how changes in your physiological states can influence your performance in physical activities and sport. The biomechanics section will allow you to develop your knowledge and understanding of forces enabling you to effectively analyse the more technical aspects of performance.
- Unit 2: Psychological Factors Affecting Performance. This unit explores a variety of models and theories that affect learning and performance in physical activities. You will learn how to provide guidance and feedback in constructive ways that are suited to an individual’s personality.
- Unit 3: Socio-cultural Issues in Physical Activity and Sport. This unit focuses on the sociological and contemporary issues that influence and affect physical activity and sport for both the audience and the performer. It includes the emergence and evolution of modern sport, the impact of the modern Olympic Games and the impact of ever-evolving modern technology.
- Unit 4: Practical Performances. This coursework unit will assess your ability to perform a range of both core and advanced skills of one activity taken from the approved list. You can be assessed in the role of performer or coach.
- Unit 5: Evaluating and Analysing Performance for Improvement. This unit draws upon the knowledge, understanding and skills you will develop throughout the course and enables you to analyse and evaluate a peer’s performance in one activity.
- Enhance your performance by participating in the College’s sports enrichment programme.
- If you wish to pursue a career in the medical profession, our First Aid Course will compliment your study of the human body's systems.
- You will also have the opportunity to enhance your learning through trips, including visits to university laboratories and sports stadia.
Where Will This Lead?