OSFC helps students in their career planning through
- A series of careers lessons delivered in tutorial sessions throughout years 12 and 13. These outline all the options available after college, sources of information, research skills, application skills and include specific lessons to support students in career related activities at key times eg researching ideas and writing personal statements in Year 12, submitting applications and attending interviews in Year 13.
- Access to 1:1 careers interviews with qualified Careers Advisers in college. Students can make an appointment by asking at any college reception.
- Easy access to paper resources and online information in careers on Myday, through the Careers Blog and Twitter.
- Students can also access additional careers related activities through their individual subjects, depending on the curriculum and attend extra events as publicised in the Careers Blog.
What should students be doing?
- Taking time to read up on their areas of interest to help them to get ideas, make decisions and gain the knowledge they need to make the right choices for them and make a strong application to the route of their choice. Careers on Myday signposts students to useful websites.
- Completing a draft personal statement by the end of year 12.
- Seeking further support from their Personal Tutor and Careers Advisers as they require it.
- In year 13, meet deadlines set by college if applying to university. Students are advised to do as much research as they can in year 12 and visit universities over summer so that they are ready to make decisions and submit their UCAS application by October Half Term in year 13 at the latest. The college deadline for Oxford, Cambridge, medicine, dentistry and veterinary science students is Friday 16th September 2016.
More information on the below topics please click the links:
Presentation from 28/04/2016 – Delivered by Joanne Boyes – Careers Manager at Oldham Sixth Form College
All Parents are welcome to contact staff in the Careers Department at any time if they have any queries.
Contact: Joanne Boyes – firstname.lastname@example.org