Staff and Governors at Oldham Sixth Form College are rightly proud of the feedback received from Ofsted following their recent inspection. The College received a short (two-day) visit at the end of September. These inspections are reserved for colleges already judged to be Good previously.
The inspectors judged that the College remains Good and reported on the many strengths and improvements since their last visit in 2013.
Their letter can be found on the Ofsted website and includes the following highlights:
- ‘The high aspirations of all staff, combined with the culture and ethos of the college, mean that students are inspired and motivated to do their best.’
- ‘Students receive beneficial advice and guidance [that] meets their skills and aspirations well.’ And ‘Students make good, and often better, progress from their starting points. Most students meet or exceed their target grades.‘
- Commenting on destinations, Inspectors report that ‘The majority of students progress to university, with a quarter gaining places at prestigious universities.‘
- The College’s strong and effective teaching and learning are praised, with reference to ‘the systematic approach to improving teaching and learning [which] helps teachers to improve their teaching practice further.‘
- In terms of leadership and management, the report highlights that the ‘senior leadership team, managers and governors have maintained a consistently high standard of education for students’ and have ‘implemented the 16 to 19 study programmes very successfully’. It also notes that ‘Governors are knowledgeable, ambitious, have a wide range of relevant experience and skills and a relentless drive for continuous improvement.‘
- Safeguarding is a key feature of all inspection reports and at OSFC, Ofsted found that ‘The highly qualified, experienced and committed safeguarding team […] ensure that a high priority is placed on students’ welfare and well-being.‘
Jayne Clarke (Principal) expressed her pride in receiving such a positive report, saying:
‘This is a very strong report, reflecting the high standards and excellent work of staff, governors and students at the College. I am pleased that the inspection team has recognised our many strengths and our continuing drive to do the very best for all of our students, in terms of both support and outcomes.’
Chair of Governors, Andrew Kilburn said:
‘This report reflects the impressive and sustained progress made by the College since our last inspection three years ago. Ofsted have recognised the quality of teaching and learning, the support students receive in achieving their goals and the results which are delivered year on year. We now continue our push to the next level and we do so from a position of considerable strength.
All staff at the College can be proud of their contribution to the extremely positive conclusions in this report.’
The full report is available for you to read at http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/index.php?q=filedownloading/&id=2603809&type=1&refer=0.
Come and see for yourself what a fantastic place OSFC is to study by attending our Open Day on Saturday 19 November between 10am and 2pm.