As an English Literature student you will delve into a wide range of novels, plays and poems with an open and inquisitive mind. You will develop your analytical skills by examining a broad spectrum of texts from modern masterpieces to classic work and debate rival interpretations. You will see how texts reflect the political and cultural struggles of the time in which they are written. This course may even change the way you think about and view the world.
Higher Education Destinations:
- Oxford University – History, Spanish
- University College London – English
- The University of Birmingham – Drama and English
- The University of Leeds – English Language and Linguistics
- Newcastle University – Combined Honours
A 4 in English Language and English Literature. If you have not taken English Literature at school get in touch and we will discuss other ways in which we can evaluate your love of reading and essay writing skills!
AS 100% examA Level 80% exam 20% coursework
We offer a range of enrichment opportunities:
- Excellent library and IT facilities to help you extend your knowledge and range of reading.
- Support for able students who wish to apply for Oxford and Cambridge.
- A creative writing enrichment class for those who enjoy writing their own stories and poems and for students with an ambition to be journalists.
- Theatre and lecture visits so you can experience a play you’re studying in the theatre.
Your teacher will always be glad to make suggestions for wider reading and further study.
Student Case Studies:
“I like studying English Literature because I have always enjoyed reading and the books studied are genuinely interesting Literature is cross-curricular in that it raises debates which are not confined just to English. For example, the historical context of the literature, or the moral questions the text raises are also discussed. When I leave OSFC I’m planning to go on to the University of Cambridge to study Human, Social and Political Science.”